Now you can listen to us read the article!
Digital watches come in all shapes and sizes. There are cheap digital watches that tell only time and more complex watches such as the Fitbit, that monitor heart rate. Whether you are a watch minimalist or seeking a supercomputer for your wrist, understanding the life span of a digital watch will help you know what to expect on your next purchase.
Digital watches can last between 2 and 6 years. Watches that draw a lot of power from their battery for backlight or other features may use up their battery in two years. On the other hand, a watch with minimal features may last as long as 8 to 10 years.
This article will clearly state how long a digital watch can last, what watch brands are the best, and what you can do to keep your watch running as long as possible.
The Lifespan of a Digital Watch
The lifespan of a digital watch, like many products, depends on the quality of the watch.
If you are looking for a simple watch to tell the time, you’re better off purchasing a cheap watch. However, if you want a watch that will be with you for a long time, spending a little extra money on a quality watch may be better.
A digital watch that also does more than tell time might not last as long as a simple watch that only tells time. This is partially due to how many extras are involved with a complex watch.
Let’s now take a look at the factors that influence the lifespan of a digital watch.
How Long Does a Cheap Watch Last?
A cheap digital watch is likely to last 2 to 4 years. By the end of this time frame, the battery will likely die if the watch’s internal mechanics have not failed. If your goal for a watch is to have one that tells time, buying a cheap watch is not a bad option.
Typically, cheap digital watches sell for between $10 and $20. Some more affordable watches even have more advanced features. Given that you will get a few years out of them, it is not a bad deal.
Below are links to some cheap digital watches that cover the basics. They are all found on Amazon.com
- CakCity Digital Watch: The CakCity digital watch is an excellent buy given its low price. This military-style watch comes waterproof with a stopwatch built-in as well as an LED backlight.
- Casio F91W-1 Classic Resin Strap Digital Sports Watch: This watch comes highly reviewed, boasting several extra features for sports timing, such as stopwatch, split time, net time, first and second place times. This product is excellent for runners or athletes who want to track their times.
- Amazon Essentials Women’s Digital Chronograph Resin Strap Watch: This simple watch is durable and waterproof. Its features include an LCD backlight, alarm, and day of the week tracker.
How Long Does a Quality Watch Last?
Perhaps you are someone who is in the market for a quality watch. Luckily for you, many digital watches emphasize excellence if you don’t mind paying a little extra.
A quality digital watch will last between 4 and 8 years. It will also be less prone to mechanical failure, exposure, and battery wear. Not only will a high-quality digital watch last longer, but it also comes with more features than a cheap watch.
Below are some options, found on Amazon.com, for someone in the market for a high-quality digital watch:
- Nixon Regulus SS: This digital watch, designed with input from the special operations community, is well worth the money. It is ultra-durable, waterproof, and comes with 5-year battery life. In addition this the product comes with time tracking features and an oversized LED backlight.
- Casio Men’s Pro Trek PRG-270-1: With this design, Casio has produced a solar-powered and reliable watch. It comes with multiple modes for tracking time, as well as a 16 point compass.
- Casio G Shock Mudman Digital Dial Men’s Watch: The Casio G Shock is a great multipurpose watch, boasting multiple features with a durable build. Furthermore, it comes with a countdown timer, lap timer, thermometer, and compass. If that isn’t enough, it’s waterproof.
- The FitBit: The fit bit is the ultimate digital watch for fitness fanatics. It comes with a multitude of features to track progress with your fitness goals. The Fitbit uses GPS to track distance, pace, and heart rate changes during runs or hikes. In addition to this, FitBit can track the quality of your sleep throughout the week.
How To Preserve the Lifespan of Your Watch
The best way to preserve the lifespan of your digital watch is to buy backup batteries. Often, people think that their watch is broken when its battery is just out of juice. You’ll also want to keep your watch out of dirt and the elements.
Watches are the type of thing that their owners tend to be attached to.
You may be the type of person who wants to hold on to your watch for a very long time. If that is the case, there are a few easy ways to extend the life of your favorite watch. They include:
- Clean your watch frequently, making sure that dirt and grease do not accumulate. This will keep the internals of the watch working correctly for a long time.
- You’ll want to always keep a backup battery on hand, in case your watch battery dies.
- Replacing the battery of a cheap watch is an inexpensive way to extend the watch’s lifespan.
The lifespan of a digital watch is between 4-6 years. Quality watches tend to last longer than cheap watches, so if you want a simple watch that tells time, go cheap. If you want a watch for the long haul, spend a little extra money.
A quality watch will have functions beyond tracking time. If you are a fitness fanatic, you can follow your workout intervals or run times.
Whatever watch you decide on, make sure to clean your watch and buy backup batteries. This will keep your prized watch running for years without incident.
- Story Builder: How to Expand the Lifespan of Your Watch
- T3: How long do digital watches last and do they lose time?
- Digital Watch Central: How long does a Digital Watch Battery last?
- Watch Tip: How to Prolong your Watch Battery: Jewelsmith